our storIEs begin here
The heritage of Italians in the Okanagan Valley stretches back almost 140 years, to when Giovanni Casorzo first claimed his homestead on the banks of Mission Creek. Since then, the stories of La Nostra Famiglia Italiana have been a vital part of the valley.
Our goal is to reconnect with these stories and bring them alive again. We’ll collect, curate and share them with our members and the community. We’ll also help you discover the stories of your own family through the resources now available for genealogical research. The meetings will be open to all who are interested, so reach out to family and friends and extend an invitation.
La Nostra Famiglia Italiana Committee
Currently our committee members are:
We always welcome those who are interested in the stories of the Okanagan's Italian families and their legacy. See below for the activities coordinated by LNFI Committee.
If you'd like to join, contact us at email@example.com
reconnect with your roots
- We offer both in person and online presentations on varied historical and cultural topics. You can see past presentations here.
- We coordinate production of Il Nostro Lascito | Our Legacy Project
- We produce the First Family series of profiles on local Italian Families
- We provide educational sessions and resources on key themes such as the Internment of Italian Canadians during World War II
- We offer Genealogy Workshops introducing tools and resources to those who are working on their own family trees and histories
- We offer assistance in archiving and digitization of historical family photos and documents
- We build relationships with partner organizations including the Kelowna Museums Society, the Okanagan Historical Society and the Kelowna and District Genealogical Society