Lina's Easter Bread - Contributed by KCIC Members - Lina & Rosann Nanci
Yield: 4 bread rounds
2 cups sugar
2 cups milk
½ cup margarine
¼ cup vegetable oil
2 tablespoon instant yeast
2 lemons (grate peel & juice)
2 teaspoon vanilla
2 tablespoon Anise seeds
1 tablespoon salt
Approximately 12 cups of flour
1. Combine 1 cup of flour, and all dry ingredients (yeast, salt, anise) and mix well.
2. Beat eggs well, add sugar, milk, melted margarine, oil, lemon, and vanilla. Beat well.
3. Add flour mixture to egg mixture, then begin adding flour 1 cup at a time (bread dough consistency).
4. Knead dough into a ball. Transfer into a bowl, cover and leave overnight for dough to rise (at least 6 hours)
5. In morning, knead dough, transfer onto cutting board.
6. Divide dough into 4 pieces. Flour cutting board and roll each piece into bread rounds that are approximately 1.5 – 2 inches thick. Place on pizza baking pans lined with parchment paper.
7. Allow the bread to rise again, at least 1 hour.
8. Brush tops with milk.
9. Bake at 350 F for 30 minutes or until golden brown.
With any Italian recipe from our Nonnas it is always “a little of this and a little of that”. There are no exact measurements. These breads are made with love so feel free to add more lemon, or more anise or vanilla based on your own tastes…